BOOKS THAT CELEBRATE DIVERSITY: RECOMMENDED READING
• 10 Websites to Help You Find the Best Diverse Books Lists (and Other Resources) (Melissa Reif, Book Source Banter blog, 10-15-15) Links to National Education Association, Multicultural Children’s Book Day, Children’s Book Council, Anti-Defamation League, Teaching Tolerance, Jane Addams Peace, Reading Is Fundamental, We Need Diverse Books, Diversity in YA, and PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender People).
• 20 Wonderful Children's Books That Celebrate Diversity (Anna Lane, The Bump, 7-18)
• 22 Diverse Book Choices for All Grade Levels (Edutopia, 2-15-19)
• 30 Children’s Books About Diversity That Celebrate Our Differences (Danika Ellis, Book Riot, 9-19-18)
• The Ultimate List of Diverse Children's Books (Here Wee Read, 2018)
• Diverse voices: the 50 best culturally diverse children's books (The Guardian, 10-13-14)
What children's books that celebrate diversity would you recommend? Let me know in the comments section (and be sure to leave your name).
ARTICLES ABOUT DIVERSITY IN CHILDREN'S BOOKS
• American Indians in Children's Literature (blog of Dr. Debbie Reese of Nambé Pueblo and Dr. Jean Mendoza)
• An Updated Look at Diversity in Children's Books (School Library Journal, 6-19-19) H/T for many of the links in this section.
• CCBlogC blog. Observations about books for children and teens from the Cooperative Children's Book Center. Statistics from April 2018.
• Children’s Books as a Radical Act Excellent infographics based on the work and philosophy of Maya Gonzalez.
• Diversity in Children’s Books: Check Your Blind Spot (Jennie McDonald, Center for the Collaborative Classroom, Part 1)
• Diversity in Children’s Literature: Check Your Blind Spot, Part 2
• Diversity Resources (Crazy Quilted)
• Is Equality in the Children’s Book Industry Possible? (a post on Maya Gonzalez's blog)
• The Invisible Lesbian in Young Adult Fiction and other blog posts about LGBTQ fiction by Malinda Lo. See also her book review.
• Picture This: Diversity in Children's Books 2018 (Sara Park, sarahpark.com, musings on korean diaspora, children’s literature, and adoption) A shareable infographic.
• Publishing Statistics on Children's/YA Books about People of Color and First/Native Nations and by People of Color and First/Native Nations Authors and Illustrators Documented by the Cooperative Children's Book Center School of Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison
• Reading While White Workiing for racial diversity and inclusion in books for children and teens. See excellent links to other resources along right side.
• Research on Diversity in Youth Literature A peer-reviewed, online, open-access journal hosted by St. Catherine University’s Master of Library and Information Science Program and University Library. See and download Most Popular Papers.
• We Need Diverse Books (WNDB) Imagine a world in which all children can see themselves in the pages of a book.
• Zetta Elliott's blog
• Zetta Elliott Discusses the "Difficult Miracle" of Black Girl Poets (School Library Journal, 2-21-2020) and Other Zetta Elliott pieces (SLJ)